Featured Post

Jump for Joy with Santa and Mrs. Claus!

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Ridgewood’s newest teacher brings idealism – and love for paperback books – to classroom

Embed from Getty Images

Ridgewood Elementary School has a new second grade teacher, reports Mike McCarthy for ABC 6 Columbus.

And he’s only 22.

As Mr. McCarthy writes:

Back to class means a new school year, but for Andrew Eder, 22, it's also the start of a new career.

"I spent my entire summer ... just prepping and creating and laminating and cutting," Eder said in his second grade classroom at Ridgewood Elementary in the Hilliard City Schools district [sic]. "I feel as if i [sic] have half of it done."

As the article notes, Mr. Eder picked his new profession for all the right reasons.

"I teach because I feel as though every child has the inalienable right to an effective education for them that’s individualized and develops them holistically," Eder said. "That’s been my driving force."

And although technology is coming to dominate the modern classroom, Mr. Eder isn’t ready to give up on offline reading just yet.

He said his library contained hundreds of paperback books he's personally collected and organized. Hilliard City Schools expanded the number of students who have access to iPads this school year.

"I don't think paper books will ever become old school," he said. "I want kids to come in and immediately be drawn to [his classroom library]."

Well said.

Full story here.